Tuesday, August 21, 2012

90s Makeup Nostalgia Part 2

As promised, here is my attempt to recreate the 'natural' makeup trend during the early to mid-90s.

Think Donna Martin/Brenda Walsh/Kelly Taylor from the original swanky zip code of prime time teen television, Beverly Hills 90210, or maybe Kate Moss during the much-celebrated grunge wave of the decade, or even the 90s bombshell Claudia Schiffer.

The makeup was all about deep contours, full brows, brown hues and everything matte.

Before I begin, let me remind you, I'm a neophyte so please, be kind.. ^.^

Start with a fresh face: tone and moisturize if you like. 

I used Flawless' facial toner and
Clarins White Plus HP Whitening Moisture Day Emulsion
The base I used was a Korean brand BB cream, which provides light coverage, perfect for the hot weather in Manila.
Skin 79 Hot Pink BB Cream



To achieve full brows, I mixed Mac e/s Omega and Wedge.

For less puffy eyes/skin, I use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm

Next, dab on your preferred eyeshadow primer.

I used the quite iconic Urban Decay Primer Potion.

For the eyes, I used Sleek Au Naturel Palette (which was one of the goodies I bought at the Rockwell Urban Bazaar over the weekend).

First Row:
L-R: Nougat, Nubuck, Cappuccino, Honeycomb, Toast , Taupe

Second Row:
L-R: Conker, Moss, Bark, Mineral Earth, Regal, Noir
I mixed the third and fourth shades (Cappuccino and Honeycomb) from the top row on my lids.
And then to give some definition to the crease, I lightly swiped the medium brown shade in Bark (third from the left, bottom row) with a pencil brush.

Next, I lightly swiped my lower lid with Cappuccino for added definition.

To contour, I used Mac blush in Harmony and for the highlight, I just used the lightest color in the Sleek palette.

Now, for my most fave part: the lips.

I really didn't have a brown lippie lying around, so I hurried to the nearest MAC store to look for and buy the perfect 90s brownish shade. The girl from the counter recommended Taupe, which has this fabulous matte brick reddish brown color.

MAC Taupe in the bullet, swatched on my hand

And of course, we can't really do 90s brown lips without a lip liner, can we?

To achieve those sharp lines around the lips, I used Make-Up Forever's Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil in Rosewood 2C.


Here is the final look:



I don't really know why I was squinting like that... LOLs







That's it! I hope you liked it... 

At the risk of repeating myself, I would like to note that I'm not a professional. Just a regular girl, stuffed loaded with stories to tell all y'all!

Later Gator!

 

2 comments: